Community security is not just about reacting to incidents that occur in your neighbourhood. It’s also about being proactive and seeing clues before an incident even takes place.
Leon Muller, District Manager for Fidelity ADT says it is so important to consciously observe everything around you, taking note of any potential safety issues. “Everyone in the community can play a role in helping to prevent crime. Our Officers are specifically trained to do just this and yesterday at around 11:30 our community operations team were conducting random patrols in the Valhalla- Centurion area, when they spotted a man tampering with a gate on Oslo road. The man noticed the Fidelity ADT vehicle and started to run.
Immediately Titus Kanana, Community Operations Manager for Centurion chased after the suspect and managed to apprehend him shortly after. “Our Special Response teams were proactive in their effort to prevent a crime,” he says.
The man was found in possession of tools commonly used for housebreaking as well as illegal ammunition. He was apprehended and handed over to the Wierdabrug SAPS for further investigation
Muller applauded the team for being alert to suspicious activity such as this. “This illustrates what a strong deterrent active patrolling is against criminal activity. A community working together is a safer, happier community,” concludes Muller.
Some safety tips:
• Have proper perimeter security with a sturdy gate and lock.
• Arm your alarm whenever you leave home
• Ensure security doors are locked at all times and the keys removed
• If you are at home -Arm parts of the home you are not using
• Arm garden beams while you are indoors
• Keep a panic button with you at all times
• Test your alarm and panic buttons regularly